Goals of Yoga
According to Knut A. Jacobsen, "Yoga has five principal meanings
- Yoga as a disciplined method for attaining a goal;
- Yoga as techniques of controlling the body and the mind;
- Yoga as a name of one of the schools or systems of philosophy (darśana);
- Yoga in connection with other words, such as "hatha-, mantra-, and laya-," referring to traditions specialising in particular techniques of yoga;
- Yoga as the goal of Yoga practice.
According to David Gordon White, the core principles of "yoga" were more or less in place, and variations of these principles developed in various forms over time